Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Yesterday was tough and requests!

Yesterday was tough on mom and sure wore me out. But these days I get on overload
really easy!

It started out with the knowledge we needed advice how to proceed with this all.
Will mom come home with me, do we have to move here for awhile, how do we
Take care of all her needs. I knew the staff at Parkview Mennonite Church offered
To help and I headed to the church there. It was nice to catch up with Joan Brubaker Horst. (She is
Secretary there and also the daughter of my grandma’s sister.) Barbra Lehman the assistant
Minister was there and we chatted. She knew mom and dad when they lived here and so was able to
Pick up where we are now. She also has visited mom in the hospital. We talked about the fact mom
Is telling all of us she wants to give up and has indeed there. We talked about John not having a job
And the fact he has not found one in LaGrange. We chatted about mom’s finances, which are not so good.
She wants to bring Phil Kniss(we both admire and respect Phil) into our future talks so that John and I are covered by decisions we make.
That will happen after Thursday when we see the surgeon. Her gentls spirit helped me strengthen my will
And at that time I did not know how much I would need that.

Than the social worker wanted to see me at one. So that gave me time to spend a few hours with mom.
As I went by the nurse’s desk I saw Dr. Shenk and asked him to check the swelling in mom’s ankle. I
Also ask for the heart doctor’s report. He came right back and gave us the results of the heart tests.
Think on a range of mild, medium and bad as I share this. He told mom in this manner…
The walls are thickening and that is a high medium. For her age of almost 87 that is not so bad,
The valves are causing the mummers they hear and they are leaking and he would rate that a low medium.
The heart is pumping strongly and that is good.

Now for the blood work.
Mom has not been eating and has not since dad’s death. He told her that he protein level was about the
Worst he has seen and he would tell her it is as bad as the children that are starving in Africa. He said it
Is alarming and so she will have to have protein shakes and have to make herself eat. She responed by
Saying she just wants to die. We tried to talk to her but I could see she was ignoring us. Her iron level
(and she is taking iron) is one point away from doing another blood transfusion. She wanted to know if she could deny
that if it was needed. Her kidneys are functions well and her lungs are going to be watched closely.

Than he looked at the swelling in the ankle and tried to touch her inner thigh on the side that was broken and she
Yelled…..so off to the hospital in a transport she went to check for blood clots. I had not eaten that morning
So I headed back for John and when I came into the motel room he had a sausage biscuit fixed for me (and he makes the best ones)
and a cup of fresh coffee. We headed for the hospital as they asked us to do because she was not wanting to talk.
She does not have a blood clot but they are concerned about the swelling. We see the surgeon tomorrow.

Another thing we addressed with Dr. Shenk was the knee and leg are turning in and I wondered might it be the pins
Are not holding and he nodded yes….so that will be addressed tomorrow. This was the surgeons worst fear for mom. I
Simply could not handle that thought. If that happens she may be bed ridden.

Than the social worked…. Mom has been approved for 6-8 weeks more in rehab. The answer to her going to Georgia
Before 2 weeks more is out. Medicare will pay 80% and today we go to MMA to see if they will cover the other 20%.
Since I have power of attorney I can do this. We also have to check where mom has state residency. She basically
Is a woman without a home and Medicare will have to set the state residency. She sold a mobile home in Florida so she
May still be a resident there. Will we move back there with her I was asked…..will we? She never paid rent in Virginia so will
The state of Virginia pick up if she needs Medicaid. Right mow this was an accident and so this is covered but where does
she need to be? Than factor in Georgia….She and dad did live there 4 years so will they accept her with that? I have to set up
appointments to find all of that out. The social worker suggested I allow the church to help me there because it is more
important for me to be with mom and try to get her to want to live. This is where you all come in…please send cards. When they
come I make her share memories with me about each of you….Beth and Mary Lynn she is asking about you. Since she saw you that Sunday
we moved she wants me to tell her stories about the times we spent with grandma growing up and your visits. Mary Lynn, she
remembers laying me beside you in the sewing room the night grandpa died and how wonderful your mom handled telling us
the next morning he had died.I sure remember that! Beth she wants to talk about the twins and how your dad and Aunt Irene
helped and how much Irene is a part of their lives. She wished she had a picture of them. So the social worker heard her
talking and asked would I put together a scrapbook of all of the family. So will you all help me by sending pictures so I can do this.

Uncle Bobby, she wants a picture of you and says she misses talking to you. Aunt Gladys she thinks you are quilting and says you
Do beautiful work she needs a project to quilt around…..really she cannot do this yet but we may get her to. Jeanne, she wants the picture
You sent at Christmas and I have no idea where hers is. She wants to see the farm and grandma’s house. She wants to come and than die.
But a picture of both will help. I can keep her awake with pictures.

Nicole and Crystal I need pictures of your kids…..she asks for them. Skyler, she loves you and has asked when you are coming. Yesterday
She asked if you started school but I soon got her back with me to tell her what a beautiful lady you are. She said I need to see her ready for the
Prom…..a picture will do.

Ladies, from my loops….send cards so I can tell her stories about you all. If you have a picture send it. Label all the names, all of you. A good exercise
They say will be them asking her to tell them the names on the photos and they need each picture labeled.

PRAY:
Mom’s pins are not slipping.
We can see what is making the swelling and tenderness.
She will want to live.
We will find the answers we need to set her up.
The Chaplin Shirley Yoder will be able to reach her….mom likes her but sets up walls. I love this lady!
We know where we need to find a job…that the path will be clear to John.
I am give out and I need energy!
I will not feel so alone. And I will quit worrying about how we will make it.

Mom’s address: Rachel Kraybill %Oak Lea Nursing Home1475 Virginia Ave.Room 132Harrisonburg,Virginia22802-2433

No comments:

Post a Comment