Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Wed evening and shock!

God prepares our hearts from one day to the next, no really one minute at a time if we just listen.
This morning I shared about trusting God and that it is hard at times for me to do that. Than I shared we must
Do these things in order….Trust Him, Delight in Him, Commit to Him and than rest in Him. How little
I knew these words would stick with me on the way home from rehab this afternoon.

Mom was a bit mixed up again but she also was upset that she has to do arm therapy and she wanted
to come home with me. I humored her with stories and she relaxed. As I was ready to go they stopped me at the
Nurses station and said the doctor needed to see me. So I waited. He questioned me about some things I thought he
Would and than hit me with, “How long has she been showing symptoms of forgetting and dementia.” I knew when I
Talked to her over the phone she would have notes and than had trouble telling me what she wanted to. I thought it
Was depression. Mom has always suffered with forms of depression and nerve problems. But she refuses to carry
Through using the meds and dad was the worst getting herbs for her and she hated those worse. I felt she needed meds for
Anxiety since the fall and he agreed. But he says the evaluations they are doing shows it is more than depression.
I told him I cared for my MIL for 2-1/2 years with the “Big A” and so he was blunt with me. I appreciated that.

Looking back I see she would prepare herself for a visit with Uncle Harold and Aunt Irene or a friend. She did isolate
herself and seemed to think people up here would treat her better than in Sarasota. That was not true. She just would
not follow through calling folks. He said that was a early part of dementia. This could be just old age or it could be more.
He decided to double her Zoloft and add an anti-anxiety drug. We will see if that helps her and if she will cooperate more.
He told me this is why the hospital and several at the home were asking me to get Power of Attorney. I know for the
Purpose of changing her Medicare plan and changing an address again with SS I will need that. She seems open to it.
This is not something I wanted to do but he insisted I follow through.

I cried as I drove home. I dealt with this with Nana and I know the road ahead will not be easy. To me these symptoms
Seem to come and go. Than again I remember when Nana broke her hip the dementia really was something we had to deal with.
I do not want my mom to lose her dignity. To me any form of dementia is an awful illness and all dignity seems to be something
that goes quick.. I know as an only child I have a lot on my plate…decisions John and I have to make. I know from experience
we will make mistakes but the truth is we will do the best we can.

That brings me to the love I have for this man that loves me above all else except for God. His faith is strong where mine can be weak.
He is loving and helpful and will do anything to help me unwind. Tonight he made us supper and served me. Now he is ready to run a
bath for me. God has given me a man that is strong when he needs to be. I am thankful for that!

Tomorrow I will spend more time with mom and will ask the Lord to help me be watchful and see what is real and what may be depression.
She has faced a death, put the trailer up and than told us…. sold it for less than they paid for it 6 months earlier, said she was coming to live in
LaGrange and the next thing I knew she had rented an apartment here. The doctor told me that all couldn’t continue…she cannot run away
from herself, her loss and her needing assistance in living day to day. I know that is true.

Thank you all for your love and prayers. Just when we needed it today a stranger to me handed us $40.00. What a blessing to us. Our need was met.

Prayer Points:
***1. That I continue to trust God to show John and I what to do.
***2. The doctor gets all the evaluation done and we have a clear picture.
***3. We can move her home and take the steps we need to for her to be comfortable.
***4. Mom has peace and will try harder to work at getting around.
***5. There is a clear picture the 15Th when we see the surgeon.***6. That John will find a job wherever the Lord leads…maybe we need to go home to Pa. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment