Wednesday, January 21, 2009

GRATITUDE JOURNAL FOR TODAY

I am thankful for:

The sun is shinning

Sparky, (our Jack Russell). He knew I was upset last night and just stayed on my laap for the longest
time.

Inner Strength
*********************************************
I read Psalm 73:26 this morning.
“My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion forever.”

I like how the Amplified Bible says it:
My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the Rock and firm Strength of my heart and my Portion forever. (AMP)

I like that “but God is the Rock and firm strength of my heart.” That word firm makes it so strong

When we were on the west coast and John and I were first married we lived in the Cannon Beach, Oregon
area. I loved the Ecola State Park.
http://www.cannon-beach.net/recreation/cbecola.html

One of the times we went there with Ryan was just at the time the tides were out. So we went ay down the beach.
Ryan wanted to climb one of the huge rocks and I said why not? So he and I climbed up one of the rocks by
Haystack Rock. Now this is a funny feeling to do. If you look at the rock and climb up you are fine. But I will
never forget looking down and it seemed like I was on shifting sand and so was the rock. The waves made it feel that way.
But when we got to the top and you sat there and looked at the vastness of the ocean and the sky above I felt
the firm foundation of that rock. I remember Ryan, at the age of almost 4 lifted his arms up and yelled, “Praise
God!” That was not his usual outburst but I understand what made him do it. I made my way down with
John’s help but Ryan wanted to stay there. John got the best picture of him way up there. Maybe when I am home (wherever
that is), I will post that picture.

That was the time I felt a firm foundation…..I sure did not feel it when we were in Astoria and climbed the Astoria Column.
http://www.astoria-usa.com/astoria_column.shtml

I hated that climb and felt so unsafe even though I knew the foundation was strong by the looks of it. As I thought just now of
The 2 places I see I am so much more alive and trusting in nature. Somehow because God planted that rock I knew I was safe.
But that column to me seemed so shaky. God is my rock! He is an awesome rock and like Haystack Rock and the smaller ones,
He is the STRONG FIRM strength in my wilderness right now. I do feel like I am in a wilderness…a “no man’s land” so to speak.
As I look back over the last months I see how hard it has been….Dad died in August, John lost his job, no one seems to be
Hiring…how will we make it?….401k is gone…..now this….it seems like my heart is faint. I wonder how I am to go on,
how can I deal with the dark nights I so feel.
I have cried from my inner most being, wondering why God, why now, why must I feel so alone, I hate being alone.
I am an only child and too often felt the pangs of loneliness. I wanted a sibling to laugh with, play with and
share a bedroom with. I do not like being alone. But than I read this verse and see God is my Rock, My firm
foundation, My strength, my fortress. He is unmovable, the anchor of my soul, and my comforter. He Is! Remember
He said it best: I am that I am”.

I can and will get through this too!

There is a song my day loved….I see him singing it with the conviction his anchor holds because God is his anchor! His faith was
so strong….Will you sing this hymn with me. One side note…you need to hear this in 4 part harmony with no piano or organ, as the
Mennonites used to do it! How beautiful it was!

MY ANCHOR HOLDS
http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/m/y/myanchor.htm

Though the angry surges roll
On my tempest driven soul,
I am peaceful, for I know,
Wildly though the winds may blow,
I’ve an anchor safe and sure,
That can evermore endure.

Refrain

And it holds, my anchor holds:
Blow your wildest, then, O gale,
On my bark so small and frail;
By His grace I shall not fail,
For my anchor holds, my anchor holds.

Mighty tides about me sweep,
Perils lurk within the deep,
Angry clouds o’ershade the sky,
And the tempest rises high;
Still I stand the tempest’s shock,
For my anchor grips the rock.

Refrain

I can feel the anchor fast
As I meet each sudden blast,
And the cable, though unseen,
Bears the heavy strain between;
Through the storm I safely ride,
Till the turning of the tide.

Refrain

Troubles almost ’whelm the soul;
Griefs like billows o’er me roll;
Tempters seek to lure astray;
Storms obscure the light of day:
But in Christ I can be bold,
I’ve an anchor that shall hold.

Refrain

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting "My Anchor Holds," and for the personal reminiscences. I sang the song in a male choir years ago. Men's voices seem to give the sense of strength in the hymn in a special way.

    Today is the 95th anniversary of the death of William Martin, the author of the song. God bless.

    ReplyDelete