Friday, January 23, 2009

It is Lewy Body Dementia

Like I said that was not written in stone…that was ruled out but by doing so and some others input we do have a name for what is wrong with mom. I am thankful it was not what they said but in reality this is not much better…

Lewy Body Dementia
http://www.lbda.org/index.cfm

As we went over point by point here at the hotel in preparation for the time with the doctor today John and I saw a lot we had said “that is depression” or “that is just mom”.
But it was not either. Make no mistake…she is deeply depressed. They went as high as they could with an 86 year old to see if that touched the depression…it did not. That took him on a search for the cause. She is grieving and that is evident but the trained grief counselors said there was more that grief. She is not making progress with the therapy. And is barely able to take a few steps. So on Monday at 1:30 we will meet with all that are working with her. We will have to try to figure out what is best for her.

It is evident John and I will have to make a move to Virginia. The blow of another long move would be too much for her. But they all feel she has given up. Can we keep her with us. We hope so but if she cannot walk than that adds a problem. Also this type of dementia may be too hard for me to handle. She is moderate in the Dementia. We have to find a house. We have to find care. We have to have a job to do those things. So much is ahead of us and tonight I am tempted to throw in the towel. But you all know me and know I will not be doing this at all. I am worn out and weary.

My cousin Don has a son that has studied this and written papers. My plan is to contact him for some guidance as to the progression and hard facts. I feel God has given us a wonderful resource in Matthew. I read about him tonight and Don, I must say he is indeed a chip off the old block! You and Liz have done a great job.

Another thing I have to consider is John’s sleeping disorder and the need to have those hours every night. Can we do this?

I am kind of rambling here I know but I am honestly writing as I conside these things. This weekend we will chat about these things and seek the guidance from the Heavenly Father. I ask each of you to pray for us. Than I guess D-Day will be Monday in some ways.

I ask you all to give us advice if God leads you to. We want to know what friends and family see and what they suggest. John and I appreciate counsel. We will listen and do what seems the right thing.

Having taken care of a MIL with the “Big A” I know what a hard job it is. I did it than with no real knowledge of what was ahead and took it as it came. Now I know and there is dread in my heart. I feel guilty about that.

Her protein is still very low and she is not eating nor drinking. Her living will says no tube feeding and no IV’s to keep her alive. So that is an issue to deal with to… as well as another transfusion…. Dear me, there are a lot of decisions.
Maybe tomorrow I can think through all this better….

PRAY:
***For mom as we tried to kindly tell her some of the issues.
***For clear direction of what to do.
***For our minds to be open to what they tell us Monday.
***A job and home. This hotel is getting old and I need my stuff....

Praise for a kind doctor that loves the elderly. That has a mom with Lewy Body Dementia and so he is well aware of what I am up against.

2 comments:

  1. Keepin you in prayer tonight Donna.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Robin.....Prayers get us through these days.

    ReplyDelete