Thursday, January 22, 2009

THIS IS WHERE WE SEEM TO BE HEADING

This is not written in stone......This is an overview of what has happened and what we see.

Since the surgery she has displayed quite a few things that did not make sense. It was agreed by the hospital doctors and now at Oak Lea that she is depressed. She was on Zoloft when she came....put on by her doctor in Sarasota. It was a standred beginning dose. She took it sometimes but mom never takes meds because that means she has to drink water and that "just makes her weary" Because of that she has again a serious UTI.Her protein level is as low as "an African child that is mal nourished" the doctor told us and her iron 1 point from a transfussion (ashe had one). But she will not eat. They gave her protien drink but she hates them and says they are finished but there is 1/2 or 2/3 full.She seems to forget to eat. She talks to people that are not there. She was super anxious and so they put her on .5MG Lorazepam 2 x's a day. That took off the edge but....Than she had muscle spasms and it was on the side of the surgery and so they put her on Baclofen 3X's a day....(10 MG). Than because she is not eating the meds make her sick so they have her on Promrthazine every 4 hours (12.5MG). Than she is on iron, BP meds, Acetaminophen as needed, Oyst-Cal 500+ D. Her results for this last urine test say"Risk of Chronic Kidney Disease" . The doctor says because we cannot get her to drink. Dad was the one that stayed after her about drinking and after he was gone I would ask her in our daily chats and some days she had 1 cup of coffee and that was it and so I would fuss. She quit eating unless she went out. She did not clean or care for herself and seldom went to church. I knew she was forgetting things and was scared to drive ect but figured it was depression.

She has had mood swings,Jerky movements which have gotten worse and on both sides.Her legs jerk in her sleep and when she is awake and she cannot stop them. Incontinence is now all the time but for over a year it has been bad.....to the point you smelled it. Her swallowing is hard and they have her in speech therapy. She cannot finish sentences at times when with them and often wth me. When she does talk at times it is much slower. Her hands tremble when she writes and uses it much.
I blamed some of this on too many meds and asked for a conference. He took 45 minutes with me and said she is not thriving at all. John and I felt there was some dementia. Because of keeping John's mom we are aware of dementia.... ...But today her threw m a curve......Creutzfe ldt-Jakob Disease.
http://www.cjdfound ation.org/ pdfs/aboutcjd. pdf
His mother has it and it took a long time to get to the fact that is what it this. He feels and knows it is a dementia. So they brought mom back from therapy and she said what were we talking about.....he told her she and I need to talk. The therapist said mom took a few steps with the walker but was confused. She was totally incontient and that interferred with working. She is in depends all the time but shegets anxious about what happened. So they are going to do some kind of new therapy for that. He does not expect it to work but knows what Medicare asks for. For her appetite she is being put on a form of marijuana in pill form to see if that helps....now laugh...a mennonite lady on this....John and I sure got a chuckle out of it.

Time will tell but is there anything I need to ask or suggest?

Oh, mom said, tell me what you talked about...I know....I have dementia and have had it for over a year. I do dumb things....and that was all she wanted to say. I told her yes, we think maybe she has a form. She said sell my car......or you drive it. More than not she thinks we can go to LaGrange and get her stuff and bring it back.....
Ok ,I rambled enough...I am at a loss and any suggestions you have send them to me.I am taking tody off....he says he can see the stain on me and says 3 times a day to be there are just too much......I know he is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment