Saturday, January 17, 2009

JUST GOT BACK FROM MOM...

I did not get to spend the day here today as I had hoped.
The nurses called saying mom was being difficult and could I come.
I waited a bit and called mom who was crying saying they did not like her
And she wanted out. I told her John was getting dressed and we would come
And see her if she calmed down. She said she would. So we headed that way.
It was so cold and the car did not seem to warm up at all and soon got hot.
We had added anti freeze but John was a bit concerned. After 2 stops we
made it to the home. They stopped me asking where I was going and I told
them and was allowed to go….the other wing is having a stomach virus &
visitors are asked to not visit. After I hit her hall I heard her crying. She really
cried when she saw me. She wanted Daddy and said it was unfair God had taken him.
What do you say to that? I brought the picture of Zoe to the bed and she did manage
A smile. Than I showed her the picture of her and dad and she held it. We have
It framed. Uncle Harold sent it and it is the rose they took for Dad at All Saints Day
And a picture of her and dad in the background.

Than a spasm hit her hard. I lightly rubbed it and than told her I needed to see
Her nurse. She told me they all hate her today. I liked her nurse who was filling
in for the day. She got moms chart and we went over it. She asked me a few questions
about mom and when she realized dad died in August she said it all made sense to
her. Mom had told her dad was gone a long time. I think to her laying there it seems
like a long time. She gave her 2 pain pills and an anti-anxiety one and I finally got her
to drink a protein shake. That was the first she ate all day. Than I gave her a handful of
chocolate covered raisins and she asked for more. The mail cake and a CD from
Lorraine Murphy. I asked for a CD player and as soon as that was on she
Relaxed. In the fog she said “Arthur, hear how that angel Lorraine sings? To think
She picked asparagus for us ……” I held her hand. Than asked her to look at me.
She did and we opened the pictures from Uncle Harold’s…that was a good 10
minutes as we looked at them and remembered. A friend from Florida called (Lucille
Allen that was from Harrisonburg and if I remember right the farm that was their families land
this retirement community is on) She talked a bit and than cried and had to hang up. More music
and she settled down. By that time the pills were kicking in. John came in and she wanted
a hug and kiss and than asked me to bring the CD to the hotel because she did not want it taken.
But I had to promise to take it back.

The car is Ok since we added more antifreeze. I had cheese, summer bologna on crackers
Thanks to Donna Conner who sent us a wonderful box from Hickory Farms. John called
It a special survival box and it is! Thanks. These things brighten our stay here and since we
Have to be hear a month more it is special.

I plan to stitch and relax the rest of the day.

Pray:
***these muscle spasms lessen.
***she will relax and rest
*** she will feel the love we all give her. I know we are not Dad….but we try.

PRAISE:
*** for the special CD Lorraine sent…it is funny to be away from all of our CD’s.
*** the pictures that brightened her day. I will find a scrapbook this week to put hem in.***Time with John and Sparky for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment