Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A NEW VEGETABLE FOR ME....CHINESE BROCCOLI

Our neighbors gave us some plants this Spring and there were 4 Chinese Broccoli plants. She remarked she had no idea what it was and I was not sure. It is also known as gai lan.
 I have been researching it and last night was my first try at cooking with it. I decided to go with the blanching first. I read I needed to cut the stems on a diagonal after pulling the leaves off. I discarded the largest leaves. I had the water boiling and added about a teaspoon sea salt and tablespoon sugar. I added the stems and cooked them about 3 minutes and took them out with a slotted spoon and into ice water. Than I added the chopped leaves and boiled them for about 2 minutes and into the ice water.
 About an hour before I this I had sliced a round steak very thin and marinated it in the following:
  6 tablespoons light soy sauce
  6 tablespoons red wine
  1 tablespoon sugar
  2 tablespoon cornstarch
   few drops of sesame oil
  1Tablespoon olive oil
Now it was time to drain the meat.
Next I cooked a pack of Ramen Noodles and drained them and set them aside.
I sliced 4 garlic cloves
1 onion
1 sweet bell pepper
3 Tablespoons candied ginger
2 hot peppers
and fried them until the garlic was brown and than added the beef and cooked it for about 5-6 minutes or until it was tender. 
 I stirred into that about a cup of stir fry vegetables and cooked that until tender.
I pushed all that to one side and added 1 cup of beef stock and the 4 tablespoons of soy sauce, 4 tablespoons wine and 2 tablespoon cornstarch I had blended together and brought it to a boil. I added the noodles and Chinese Broccoli and stirred until it was well coated with the sauce. I added about 1/2 cup Trader Joe's Generals sauce before serving it.
This may be as clear as mud.....I honestly read and combined many recipes to use what I had in my pantry. Going to the store is not an option right now. We loved the broccoli and marveled that it was still a bright jade green.
So many recipes mentioned it was bitter and I did not find it to be so. Next time I will cook just the broccoli.


1 comment:

  1. I do that too, with Stir fry! I like to use up things in my frig and stir fry is great for that. Looks great!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete